I don’t know what this is for, Cara, but it’s pretty darn amazing.
#Schweizercomics has the best signs
I just posted an essay on my blog about writing historical fiction.
”The adage that ‘history is written by the victors’ has validity, but losers can write history too, and often do. And in delivering the facts in a way that supports one’s political, social, or literary thesis, the writer succeeds where his or her cause may have failed. Writing history IS victory.”
It’s super-long, and would clutter up everybody’s tumblr were I to post it in its entirety, so here’s a link, if you wanna read it:
Another set from Friday. Lestrade was so pleased to be getting video of drugged Sherlock. Lol
If you know anyone in here, please let me know so I can properly tag them.
There’s a good chance the fella in the tux is me
Dreamworks will be doing combination of 2D & 3D animation on thier next film; Me And My Shadow. Here’s how one Dreamworks staff member described the process:
“We’re doing the rough hand-drawn animation in-house, with several animators from Disney. The computer program molds their animation around tables and chairs. There’s a ‘POV’ software program that enables them to draw over a blocked area of the CG animation, and it works well.”
Full Story Here
(Source: , via ramsaysdungeonnightmares)
Hey, folks! I just found out that I got nominated for the Stumptown Awards in the category of Best Cartoonist, which means an awful lot to me, especially as I’m in with a number of really incredible talents, including my fellow Atlantan and friend Francesco Francavilla.
It’s open voting (though you can only vote once, checked by allowing only one vote per e-mail address), so please swing by and give it a click! And if you’re unfamiliar with the works of the other nominees, please check that work out before clicking to make sure that you don’t like it more than my stuff, which there’s a very good chance you will.
Thanks again to the folks who came out to 221B con and supported everyone, and to all the folks who came to panels. I hope they weren’t boring!
Here’s the link to vote:
So the two biggest fandom thingies I dig are Sherlock Holmes and Star Wars, both of which I’ve loved since I was a kid. The officially sanctioned nature of Star Wars post-film material, however, is rarely to my liking, and so I think of the franchise more along the lines of a sports team that I love but which hasn’t won a season in more than twenty years, though every now and then it might win a game.
My hands-down favorite Star Wars thing after the original trilogy is the 1991 novel trilogy by Timothy Zahn, which introduced two great characters (well, more than two, actually, but I’m only highlighting two here): Grand Admiral Thrawn and Captain Pallaeon. Pallaeon, very much a military traditionalist, serves as an awed but skeptical Watson to the deductive strategist Thrawn.
With Disney pulling CLONE WARS from Cartoon Network, I’m hopeful that they’ll do some near Star Wars stuff for Disney XD, and though I’d prefer they step entirely away from all this “canonical” nonsense, if they were to return to existing characters I’d love to see a three-part made-for-TV animated version of this story, which is the favorite of many fans of the franchise. And who better to play these two characters than Cumberbatch and Freeman? No one that I can reckon. Anyway, it’s never gonna happen, so here’s a drawing to fill the void.
Watch your head…
Saturday evening is about to get a little more dangerous… Sebastian Moran has a secret club, it’s called The Invisible Tigress… and you’re invited.
Come listen to the dulcet tones of Sherlockian music while you battle and draw your way to some nice treasure, all with a drink in hand.
The evening will start out at 7PM with a cocktail meet & greet/Q&A with us, The Baker Street Babes. Pop by the bar just outside the room and come have a chat while Moran’s henchmen set up some tantalizing activities. Any and all questions will be answered. Want to know our favourite species of swallow? Just ask. We’ll even tell you the air speed velocity of it when it’s unladen.
After you’re bored of us, Moran shall unleash his games to test your skills. Lose and… well… he IS a crack shot.
- Sherlockian Pictionary: Moran has some treasure you’re keen on getting. Win it in a battle of art and wits. Some of your favorite fanartists will be team captains. We’ll have a sign up sheet at the door, so come early to sign up!
- BOOM Trivia: best watch your head or you’ll lose it! It’s a ticking time bomb to beat the riddle and find the clues. This is a different sort of trivia game as you & your team will have to rifle through dozens of balloons to find the answer. Collect all your balloons and the treasure is yours. Teams of two to four.
- In the lobby and bar area we will have some board games to play, but please feel free to bring your own as well.
Prizes? Oh yes, prizes!
- 1st Place - Be on the Baker Street Babes podcast! You’ll get to be on an episode of your choice (within reason), whether it’s just discussing your favourite story, joining us on an interview, or something different all together!
- 2nd Place - You’ll be in Lyndsay’s next Sherlock Holmes short story for The Strand Magazine! Yes! You! In The Strand Magazine! Your name or you’ll name a character.
- 3rd Place - You’ll be in Amy’s next Sherlock Holmes pastiche! You’re going to be in a book! Your name or you’ll name a character.
- The winners of each game of pictionary will get a collection of Sherlockian fan art postcards, buttons, & posters.
We are DELIGHTED to announce that we have asked
blackmailedSir Arthur Conan Doyle into attending. Do take your photo with him, he’s such a photo whore.
That’s what’s happening… now to get in… sure, you may know WHERE it is, but how do you enter? There will be a password scattered about the con in the form of some Dancing Men. Find it, decode it, say the password and you’re in ;).
- Come dressed as Sebastian Moran (any incarnation) and get a little treat.
- Come dressed in fabulousness. Dresses, lounge wear, cosplay… just be fabulous (even if it’s just that beautiful smile on your face, rawr!)
- The bar is right outside the room, use it and abuse it! You can BYOB, but it cannot be for mass consumption. It’s yours. It’s preciousssss.
- HUGE thanks to Wessex Press and of course to the ladies of 221B Con!
- Stupid sexy poster is by older-and-far-away.
RSVP: You don’t have to RSVP, but this is just helpful to us to know who all will be showing up. The more the merrier! RSVP Here.
Any questions, please ask us!
I AM SO EXCITED FOR THIS AAAAAH